Friday, February 20, 2009

A new drug...

Last Tuesday I got back my blood work results back from our last Drs. appointment, which confirmed the PCOS diagnosis. The most common treatment for this is a drug called Metformin which is also used to treat diabetes. The PCOS causes a hormone imbalance which somehow affects the way my body processes sugars and insulin. The Metformin will help to correct this which will in turn right other hormone imbalances which affect my fertility. I don't really understand how. The only side affect is it is tough on the digestive system until I get use to it, so I start with one pill and work up to three a day. I have to take it until I get pregnant. So far so good. By taking it now it will prevent complications when I start taking the injectable drugs for IVF later.

Since the PCOS causes my cycles to be so irregular, I started taking progesterone this week to induce a cycle so we can get on with the remaining tests.

Wait for the Lord; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment