Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Transfer & OHSS

We were able to transfer two beautiful embryos on Thursday, April 2nd and we found out on Monday that we had four more that were frozen in case we need them later.

Unfortunately, it seems I have developed a complication called Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome or OHSS. It is caused by all the meds I took to help me produce extra eggs. Now my ovaries are swollen and leaking fluid in to my abdomen, which puts a lot of extra pressure on my insides. It got progressively worse through Friday night and my Dr saw me first thing Saturday morning. He admitted me at Martha Jefferson to do a procedure to draw off the extra fluid. Although very painful, it was unsuccessful. As it turned out it was really good that I was there; I was so dehydrated no one could find my blood pressure all day and they had to use and ultrasound just to find a vein to put an IV in. They gave me a liter of IV fluids and sent me home.

I have been getting progressively better since then and returned to work on Tuesday. My Dr said if I am pregnant I will likely get worse again, but this hasn't happened yet so I am a little discouraged at the moment. All we can do now is wait. In case the news isn't good, we have decided not to share our test date.

1 comment: